THL’s Week 2 Power Rankings (Division II)
- Flower Mound: Flower Mound continues to impress as they rack up wins against Division II opponents. This weekend, they traveled to Austin and came away with wins against Cedar Ridge (17-1), Vandegrift (10-5), and Stony Point (9-3). Faceoff and goalie play have been consistently strong and they remain at our top spot in this week’s rankings.
- Hillcrest: A strong argument could be made for Hillcrest to be ranked at our #1 spot, but they’ve played a slew of Division I teams and we have yet to get an accurate barometer for how they stack up in their own division. They beat a solid Plano West team 11-6 and have played well against DI competition all year; experience that will pay off as pressure mounts later in the season.
- St. Michael’s: St. Michael’s jumps into our #3 spot this week with big wins over Vandegrift on Wednesday (winning 9-8 in OT), and McKinney on Saturday (winning 10-1). They started out slow in a loss to Division I St. Stephen’s earlier this year but have picked up a lot of steam as of late.
- Cy-Fair: Cy-Fair had a convincing 11-6 win over Division I Memorial on Tuesday and another over Westside (winning 13-3). This weekend they held Divison I Kinkaid to 7 goals in a 7-2 loss, which is nothing to be ashamed of. A game against Katy looms on Friday and the pecking order will become more clear afterwards. The wins were strong enough to bump them to our #4 spot.
- Klein: Klein had two quality wins this week over the Spartan Lacrosse Club and Taylor. Add that to impressive off-season and early-season play, and we think they’re sitting about right at #5, for the time being.
- Keller: Other than winning at the Aggieland Classic, there’s not a whole lot to go on when analyzing where Keller stacks up. They lost to a solid Division I Plano team 8-6 this week. Keller takes on Division I Allen on Wednesday.
- Vandegrift: They’ve had a tumultuous week, losing in overtime to St. Michael’s on Wednesday, beating Reagan on Saturday, and losing 10-5 to Flower Mound on Sunday. They will be without their star offensive player, John O’Grady, for the next few games against Division I Cedar Park and Stony Point as he battles injury. He should be back in time for a big matchup against St. Andrew’s on 3/7.
- Katy: Had a good week, winning games against Bellaire, Ft. Bend Christian Academy, and the Spartan Lacrosse Club. A big game looms against Cy-Fair this Friday and it will give us a much better idea of how this team stacks up.
- McKinney: Where to put McKinney? They beat Division I Anderson 8-6 before losing to St. Michael’s 10-1 on Saturday. They followed up the loss with an 8-7 win over a solid McNeil squad on Sunday. Can they shore up their inconsistencies?
- Clear Lake: While it happened early in the year, Clear Lake’s 7-4 loss to Memorial doesn’t look so good now that Cy-Fair beat Memorial 11-6. Time will which team it says more about. Clear Lake takes on the Spartan Lacrosse Club this Saturday and a common opponent will give us better information for how to gauge this team.
On the cusp: Colleyville, Lake Travis, McNeil
We create our Power Rankings each week before tallying the results of the Coaches Poll, and it’s always interesting to see where the differences lie. Were we guilty of a few reaches? A few snubs? What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!